Thursday, November 15, 2007

1 Week Away!!!!!

Today is exactly 1 week from Thanksgiving! Am I the only one who feels like it's not time for Thanksgiving yet? Not that I don't want it to be, in fact I am so excited, but it just doesn't seem like it! I've been wondering why and here's what I came up with: 1. I got my tonsils sliced out 2 weeks ago and that 1st week kinda froze...I was pretty much worthless. I'm still a week behind in my brain's calendar. 2. I have had no fudge yet. Why has nobody made fudge? It's the holidays! I better get on that. 3. Everybody has been having babies like crazy. It's so great (except that it makes me want one...good thing "Private Practice" last night made it looks really painful). But it has kind of kept my mind from thinking about Thanksgiving. 4. It's still 50 degrees outside. It needs to snow. Not the day of shopping, though. 5. I am only making rolls for Thanksgiving. Last year I made the turkey. Not complaining but I haven't had to think about buying a Turkey. Anyways, I guess that's why it doesn't seem time yet. I am going to make fudge. I think that will help! Yes....I NEED to make fudge for the good of Thanksgiving.


Tuesday was a crazy day for me. I worked at Pump It Up (it makes me sound so buff) in the morning until 11:15. Afterwards I went by my mom's house to see her and Sam since he's off school right now. They were on their way to IHOP, so Carson and I decided to go with them. Carson is in this stage of life right now that he is sooo independent and "grown up". He HAD to sit in a chair as opposed t
o a high chair. I told him he could as long as he stayed in it. So...the first little while was fine. He got his pancake and ate quite a bit. Then we hit the end of the attention span. He kept getting out of his chair, climbing up on the empty booths. I told him if he got out of the chair one more time he had to sit in the high chair. Of course, he got out, ran to the booth and tried to hide. I grabbed him and stuck him in the high chair. Tantrum. Everybody kept looking at me, and if anybody knows me you know that's one of the most stressful things to me. I told him to stop crying or we will leave. He kept crying and I told him the same thing about 2 more times. He wouldn't stop, so I got up, took him out of his seat, and told my mom and Sam bye. He cried the whole way home. When we got home I took him straight to his room and laid him down for a nap. He kept crying and since I was so overwhelmed, I started to cry too ( a little embarrassed about this). Carson became silent. He moved over to me and wrapped his arms around me. His sweetness made me cry more. Shortly I stopped and looked at him. I told him from now on I need him to sit still in a seat or he will have to sit in a high chair or we cannot go out to eat anymore, OK? In the quietest and sweetest little voice he said, "K." I gave him a hug, laid him back down and didn't hear a peep. I'm the kind of mom who felt sooooo bad about the whole experience even still. It helped me to hear that when I left IHOP, the elderly lady who had been sitting next to us told my mom, "Good for her. She stuck to her guns. That's how they learn." It makes me feel good because now I feel a little better and that maybe I really did the right thing. Being a mom is sooo hard sometimes, but I know without a doubt I wouldn't trade it for anything! Sorry this is so long. Sometimes you just have to share your thoughts :)

3 comments:

cassie said...

oh wow you really are an awesome mom! you are so cute, i can't even believe how grown up we are. i miss our dumb girl moments sometimes haha. that picture is so cute. and by the way what is pump it up?

Anonymous said...

I know! Do you remember our dance to "I Saw the Sign"!!!! Pump It Up is where I work on Tues. and Thurs. for 2 hours a day. They have inflatable slides and jumpy things and fun stuff like that and mostly just throw parties, but the days I work are free to all public so it's usually a bunch of toddlers who come play. They let me bring Carson to work. It's great but sounds so funny when I talk about it.

Courtney said...

Mel, even though you told me the story on the phone, it is better reading it... oh boy, the joys of toddlerhood. You are an awesome mom, and it is great that you "stuck to your guns". You rock....